Founded in 1912, the Berwick, Pennsylvania Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) was named in honor of Moses Van Campen. While the Chapter is no longer active, it was responsible for placing several historical markers over the years in and around Berwick, Pennsylvania including the Fort Wheeler and Fort Jenkins Markers. Both of which are directly related the life and times of Moses Van Campen.
Published in 1915, "Historical and Biographical Annals of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania," details the Chapter's founding, initial officers and charter members.
Historical and Biographical Annals
Columbia and Montour Counties
J. H. Beers & Co.
"Moses Van Campen Chapter, D. A. R., was organized in Berwick Feb. 19, 1912. The name was adopted for the reason that Moses Van Campen was a resident for many years of the section immediately west of Berwick and his achievements were part of the history of this section of the State. Van Campen was born Jan. 21, 1757, and died Oct. 15, 1849.
The first officers elected by this chapter were: Mrs. Clarence G. Crispin, regent: Mrs. C. E. Ferris, recording secretary; Miss Sarah M. Hagenbuch, corresponding secretary; Miss Harriet J. Alexander, registrar; Mrs. A. C. Jackson, historian; Miss Doretta Distelhurst, treasurer; Mrs. E. A. Loux, chaplain.
The charter members of the chapter were: Harriet Jenkins Alexander, Bessie Belle Bishop, Elma Caroline Bishop, Mae L. Crispin, Louise W. Crisman, Grace E. Distelhurst, Doretta Chandlee Distelhurst, Gertrude May Follmer, Carrie K. Ferris, Harriet Arabella Ferris, Adelaide Lepha Ferris, Martha Jeane Freas, Sarah -Margaret Hagenbuch, Edna K. Jackson, Anna C. Loux, Caroline H. Sponsler, Helen Emily Trescott, Martha W. Williams."