The history of the Fort McClure is detailed in Historical and Biographical Annals of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania.
Historical and Biographical Annals of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania
by J.H. Beers & Co., Chicago, 1915
"At the time of the destruction of Fort Jenkins, there was a line of forts reaching from the West Branch to the North Branch of the Susquehanna, comprising Forts Muncy, Freeland, Montgomery, Bosley's Mills, Wheeler and Jenkins. The loss of the latter fort left the right exposed to the marauders, so on Van Campen's return from captivity he stockaded the home of Mrs. James McClure, on the bank of the Susquehanna, one mile above the mouth of Fishing creek, and on the later site of the house of Douglas Hughes, below Bloomsburg. This fortification took the name of Fort McClure, and became the headquarters for stores and expeditions as long as the defense of the frontier was necessary. This fort was never seriously attacked, though the near residents often fled to it for security. It was never more than a stockade and further fortifications were not built. A residence now stands on the site. A marker has been placed here by the Fort McClure Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, Bloomsburg." [page 11]
"Just before the commencement of the Revolutionary War James McClure died, but his widow cultivated the plantation until the Wyoming massacre, in 1778, when she placed all her portable possessions on a raft and floated down the Susquehanna to Lancaster, remaining there until all danger was over. With her went the widow of Capt. Lazarus Stewart, who had been killed at Wyoming. Maj. Moses Van Campen, who had married the daughter of Widow McClure, built the second fort in the county on her farm, one mile above the mouth of Fishing Creek, calling it after his respected mother-in-law." [page 104]
This collection includes the following photos:
- Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission Fort McClure Marker located in Bloomsburg, PA. Photo by D.C. Hopkins for MosesVanCampen.com., 2011.
- McClure House, site of Fort McClure, Bloomsburg, PA, Home of Fort McClure Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution. Photo by D.C. Hopkins for MosesVanCampen.com., 2011.
- Fort McClure commemorative stone marker and plaque dedicated by the Fort McClure Chapter DAR in 1907. The plaque reads, "This stone marks the site of Fort McClure built by Moses Van Campen 1781. Erected by Fort McClure Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution Bloomsburg Pennsylvania 1907". Photo by D.C. Hopkins for MosesVanCampen.com., 2011.